One morning this week, I had the house to myself. This is a rare and much appreciated happening. For the past two years, I’ve listened to audiobooks using earphones while cleaning and cookiing so as to not disturb or distract others in the house who doing homework or work-work or are maybe just slightly less interested in my literary choices than I (although why they wouldn’t be riveted, I haven’t the foggiest idea. I have excellent taste). On this particular morning though, I stumbled across a mixed CD that I compiled close to twenty years ago. And it is pure magic. The fact that the newest song on the CD is circa 2003, just adds to its wonder(fulness). I popped the shiny disc into the CD player and turned it way, way UP. The puppy did not appreciate the disruption to her nap time and routine. I just looked into her confused little face and shrugged my shoulders at her. I’m not a saint. I have no regrets.
What was this magic playlist, you ask? Well, buckle up buttercup, because this is a mix of the ages (or a mix for the middle-agers who refuse to give up their 20’s card? I dunno. No apologies).
The Ultimate (and Possibly Embarrassing, if I had that gene) Music Mix
1. Baby Got Back – Sir Mix-a-Lot – 1992
2. Wild Thing – Tone Loc – 1988
3. This Love – Maroon 5 – 2002
4. Come on Eileen – Doxy Midnight Runners – 1982
5. Valley Girl – Frank Zappa – 1982
6. Key Largo – Bertie Higgins – 1982
7. You Sexy Thing – Hot Chocolate – 1975
8. Stacy’s Mom – Fountains of Wayne – 2003
9. That’ll Be The Day – Buddy Holly – 1957
10. Three Rows Over – Bobby Curtola – 1963
11. Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polkadot Bikini – Brian Hyland – 1960
12. It Wasn’t Me – Shaggy – 2000
13. One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer – George Thorogood – 1977
14. High School Confidential – Rough Trade – 1980
15. The Gambler – Kenny Rogers – 1978
16. Gasoline Alley – Rod Stewart – 1970
17. Lime in the Coconut – Harry Nilsson – 1971
18. Alison – Elvis Costello – 1977
19. I’m Too Sexy – Right Said Fred – 1991
20. Boom Shack-a-Lack – Apache Indian – 1994
I can’t even tell you how much I enjoyed listening to this oddball mix and how much I can’t wait to inflict, I mean SHARE it with my smalls when they get home from school. If the homework situation doesn’t allow for the blasting of music, I can wait until I have them trapped in the minivan. I’m just that kind of patient and giving parent.
Pitching hard for #MumOfTheYear over here.