This morning I was seeking solutions to some ongoing school bus woes. I thought brainstorming here may help to clarify an appropriate course of action for me to take. Because despite my many (many) deficits, I am trying really hard to do this adulting/parenting thing correctly. I came up this list of seven possible solutions this morning.
7 ways to deal with a kid who is bothering your kid on the bus:
- Call the school, let the principal and support staff handle it.
- Tell your child to ignore it and the other kid will get bored and move on.
- Tell your child to stay respectful but stand up for his/herself and others when this clearly unhappy person is acting up.
- Pull your kids off the bus and drive them to and from school each day while cursing the broken school system and the ongoing breakdown of society.
- Call the school, let the principal handle it and pull your kids off the bus until you are assured that the problem has been effectively dealt with.
- Walk up to the offending kid in the morning, after drop-off and say: “ Keep your mouth shut and your hands off the other kids on the bus. I have over thirty years longer experience than you do at being a cunty bitch and you DON’T want to challenge me. You will lose. Now mind your fucking manners and make something good out of your life.” Use your meanest, most menacing Liam-Neeson-in-‘Taken’ face and voice.
I know it should not be quite so hard to decide on a course of action, but it is. Adulting is stupid hard. You want to be mature, serene, wise and calm, set a positive example and raise good and kind humans while at the same time you want to tell shitty humans who bother other children exactly what they are, where to go and how you’ll help them to get there, using a lot of extremely immature, inflammatory, ugly and yet momentarily immensely satisfying words.
Well, this exercise did not work out exactly as planned. I am still undecided on how to proceed and now my kids will be late for school. Oh well. I guess I’ll load my kids into the minivan now and figure it out along the way.
Or, I suppose I could just resurrect Mildred.
What would you do?